Tuesday, January 5, 2010

#7

#7 - Garden State (2004) Zach Braff was actually not that well known to me when I went to see Garden State way back in 2004, but his film (he wrote, directed, and starred) really reached me. I guess some of it was that I was also floating through school and life at the time I saw this somewhat like the main character Braff plays. Andrew Largeman (Braff) comes back home because the passing of his mother, he has issues with his controlling father that have haunted him for years. While at home he also finds a girl, Sam (Natalie Portman). The movie really goes into their relationship and how Largeman can finally feel himself with a girl, something that he has never had before. While somewhat dark the movie works well and unfolds as a nice uplifting story. I know it is not a very well known movie but I rank it this high on my list because it really made me think of everything in my life when I went to see it, and I could really relate to the feeling of not knowing what you want to do or how to get to where you want to be. Great acting and some amazing use of songs also make the movie so good.

No comments: