Sunday, April 25, 2010

3D or not 3D




Ok so lately 3D has been bugging me, I like the notion of a movie being made better by seeing it in 3D and lately it seems that most movie companies make a movie into a 3D event because it makes more money that way. Avatar sort of started this craze on it's way to becoming the top grossing movie of all time. The movie was pretty good to me, and was worth seeing in IMAX 3D because it was filmed to be seen that way. I have no problem with Avatar (well besides that it wasn't even that great of a movie) but I wish it never started this whole 3D trend because now everything is being released in 3D, as the next 3D movie event! Please. Give me a fucking break. I cannot say I am not to blame, when I go see a movie with a friend they end up wanting to see it in 3D and being an avid movie goer (and usually a nice friend) I agree to pay the $3 extra and see it in 3D.

The recent movies I have seen in 3D are: Avatar, Alice In Wonderland, and Clash of the Titans. After seeing all three only one was really needed to be seen in 3D, Avatar. The others were not really needed to be in 3D because being in that medium did not add anything of great value to the story. Alice In Wonderland was an average movie to me, nothing really extraordinary going on and the 3D was not really used to make it better in anyway. Clash of the Titans is where I get pissed. So I learned there is two ways to do 3D, one is when they change the movie into 3D after the film is done which = shitty 3D. The other way is when the movie is actually filmed in 3D the entire way, which is the actual only way I will now see 3D movies.

I have also heard that 3D prices are on the rise, which is another thing I find to be lame. With more and more 3D movies out you think the price would decrease not increase. One major problem I have is that they do not allow you to reuse your 3D glasses (if they are the same ones you bought last time). Then they want you to recycle the glasses after the movie, I feel if I paid for them why the hell shouldn't I keep them? But then if I do keep them I just have like 4 pairs of useless 3D glasses. So I am saying maybe they cut you a discount if you have the 3D glasses, maybe just half off the extra $3 or something, nothing major but I feel there is a need for some sort of discount for people who already have purchased the glasses. Similar to when you bring your own bag to Safeway and get a small discount for not needing to use their bags, plus both examples save resources (or does anyone know if they re-use those glasses after the movie?).




The 3D craze seems hear to stay. I recently asked my dad, a movie goer since birth if he thought that 3D was just a passing fad. He said it usually has been in the past and I was hoping he was right. I don't see the need to see every movie in 3D. Yes the positive is that it leads to some cool visual effects and if used correctly can make a movie fun. It is also helping Hollywood to release some projects they may not get the green-light otherwise, and it is always good when movies make money because they can possibly make more movies or give someone new a chance to showcase their skills. But I also see the upcoming 3D releases on the horizon and 3D seems here to stay, at least for a while longer.

Upcoming 3D movies:
Shrek Ever After
Toy Story 3
The Last Airbender
Despicable Me
Cats & Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore
Step Up 3-D
Piranha 3D
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Legend of the Guardians: Owls of Ga'Hoole
Jackass 3D
Tron Legacy
and many more....

So what I am seeing here is a lot of children's movies as well as a few horror movies. The one's that I would want to see is, Piranha 3D and Tron Legacy. I think I will pass on Jackass 3D, but it may be the first movie to have a 3D penis, so its got that going for it.



To be nice I will list the top movies that I think 3D has added to the movie. These films are Monster House, Avatar, and My Bloody Valentine. In fact I would say My Bloody would be almost unwatchable but the 3D made it into a fun movie, they did a good job using 3D on that one. I recently watched Avatar in non 3D, and to be honest I didn't think less of it. The movie is visually stunning either way and I could focus more on colors in regular 2D.

3 comments:

Wesley said...

Totally agree about My Bloody Valentine... 3D definitely made the movie more fun. No mention of Christmas Carol though... positive or negative?

And a Jackass 3D movie? REALLY? wow.

Mummbles said...

Thats right, Christmas Carol was good use of 3D, I forgot about that one. Thanks for the reminder.

slasherflix said...

Yeah for sure MBV!! I saw Nightmare Before Xmas in 3D what a fucking waste. Can't wait for Piranha though. Friday the 13th 3-D has to be my all time fave 3D flick though.
Jaws 3D was pretty bad ass too, but then again Lou Gosset Jr was in it.