Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Draft

So I am excited about the Draft, I usually watch the first round or so. It tends to get boring after a while. I really think teams should be given less time to make a pick. What is it now? 15 minutes a pick for the first round? And now ESPN has chosen to make the draft start at 1PM, which will make it go way long into the night. With all the hype leading up to the draft, I understand that teams need some time but seriously, I think 10 minutes for the first round and then like 2 minutes after that. Imagine how cool it would be seeing them rapidly make the picks. We could have the whole thing done in half the time. 

Another things is ESPN, remember when it used to be cool and rare to see highlights so you would turn on ESPN and wait forever just to see your teams highlights. Now if your team is on the West Coast or doesn't have a player named Manny or Kobe you never see highlights of your team, and if you do they are short. Sportscenter now brakes off into different shows. If you want to see baseball highlights you watch Baseball Tonight (which I like), if you want to basketball highlights (and you do not have Kobe or LeBron on your team) you watch their Basketball show (I forgot the title). Anyway the draft and Mel Kiper are everywhere! The things is that they do all these mock drafts and picks but they just do it all over when the draft starts. I guess what I am saying is that ESPN should focus less on what "might happen" and just make the actual draft more important. So in that vein I will make my draft prediction for the first 10 picks. My niners are drafting #10. Anyway can you recall the #10 pick last year? (Jerod Mayo by New England...if you were wondering)




1. Lions - Matthew Stafford QB: I think the Lions need a face of the future and the pressure in not taking a QB will make them go with Stafford. I mean looks at all those other great #1 QBs taken in the past. Alex Smith, JaMarcus Russell, etc.. Anyway point taken, I would just take a good Offensive Lineman and save the QB for later. Lately it has been proven that you can get a good QB later on. 

2. Rams - Jason Smith OT: I think the Rams are slowly building up a team with good lines, they did have the #2 pick last year and got DE Chris Long who I didn't hear much about. He did have 4 Sacks last year, nothing fantastic but he could come around. The team needs a lot of players and just got with the best available. 

3. Chiefs - Aaron Curry LB: I think Chiefs go safe and with good reason. Seems that LB's are the safest picks to make lately. Patrick Willis comes to mind. From what I hear this guy is for real and could help the team who needs some D players. The offense is finally coming around with Cassell, Bowe, and LJ. They has so many close loses I could see them maybe make a playoff run...maybe.

4. Seahawks - Mark Sanchez QB: I would love to have this pick, they can go so many ways. I think they should take Michael Crabtree at this point, and they still may. Signing WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh could make them not take Crabtree, who will swooped up soon after. The team played terrible last year. They need a RB, WR, and QB. I think the upside of Sanchez it too much to pass up. Is he Plamer or Leinart? Since he will playing my team for a while I hope for the latter.

5. Browns- Eugene Monroe OT: The Browns can go in a lot ways here. I hear they will be trading WR Bralyon Edwards, if they do that then maybe the take Crabtree? This team is weird. They draft players with bad attitudes and eventually end up trading them. Winslow Jr. and possibly Edwards. I think Monroe would be a safe pick, a guy who goes unnoticed but is good for 8-10 years. With Joe Thomas anchoring the line, and adding Monroe they could have a great O-line and would lead the way for more rushing yards and better protection for Quinn or Anderson or whoever the hell they are going to start at QB.

6. Bengals- Andre Smith OT: Not a sexy pick, but they need someone who can help protect Carson Palmer. They have some questions and RB and this pick would also help with that. I am also thinking with TJ gone and Ocho Cinco wanting a trade, maybe they pull a draft day deal to get rid of old 85 and maybe they take Crabtree? I think they go with a lineman here.

7. Raiders- Michael Crabtree WR: How are the Raiders only drafting 7th? They sucked last year. Anyway they had like no good WRs last year and would love to take the sexy pick here. This time they don't mess it up, I think Crabtree is a great pick and would be the #1 WR they have lacked since Tim Brown (Randy Moss doesn't count since he wasn't trying). Another reason I am hoping he goes here is because he wont be in the NFC West!

8. Jaguars- Jeremy Maclin WR: Oh shit, we have a run on WRs! I think they want Crabtree but stick with the next best WR and take Maclin. They suffer from drafting terrible WR who never pan out. They could really use a great WR to help the offense. This team will rebound and have a much better year I bet. 

9. Packers- B.J. Raji DT: He could go way earlier, sorry I am no Mel Kiper, I am losing hair and he has too much. Anyway this guy is the talk of the town, but so was Glenn Dorsey last year and he has 1 sack, but a DT is never a huge sack guy. I think Packers just take the best guy and nab him and take the steal at #9.

10. 49ers- Brian Orakpo DE: I have heard this guys is cut and a great sack guy, we need someone like that. I have seen him go higher then #10, but the 49ers could use this guy. I think he comes from a school (Texas) that usually makes NFL stars and he could start right away. He also plays some OLB and we could use him at both position, which makes him even better to get. Niners need a pash rush! Please take him Mike, if he is still on the board!!

This guy looks badass! Will he be a 9er?

No comments: